zaterdag 19 mei 2012

Creating a SQL Server 2012 playground (part III)

Introduction

In this blogpost I've entered the 3rd step in the series about creating a SQL Server 2012 playground. In this blogpost I'll describe the installation of SQL Server 2012. In the first two blogposts i've described creating the VM enviroments with VirtualBox and installing the domaincontroller. The foundation of the environments are ready and the domaincontroller is ready for usage. In this blogpost I'll describe creating the domain users and installing SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition on the VM.



This blogpost is one in a series of blogposts:
  • Creating a VM environment with virtualbox (part I).
  • Configuration of the domain controller (part II).
  • Creating AD users and installing SQL Server 2012 (part III).
  • Installation of Sharepoint (part IV).
  • Adding the tabular mode instance to the SQL Server installation (part V).
  • Adding the powerpivot mode instance to the SQL Server installation (part VI).
  • Configuring SharePoint Central Administration (part VII).
  • Installing Reporting Services Sharepoint mode as Single Server Farm (part VIII).
  • Installing MS SQL Server Powerpivot for Excel 2010 (part IX).
  • Installation of SSDT and the SSDT Power tools (part X).
  • Installation of Contoso and AdventureWorks databases (part XI).
  • Installation of Master Data Services (part XII).
  • Installation of Data Quality Services (part XIII).
  • etc.



Create users in DC

First we need to create some users that I need for the installation of SQL Server (and for later sharepoint). So go to Start and start up the Active Directory Users and Computers.



Go to the Users section.


And add the AD users SQL, SSRS, SSAS and Sharepoint


don't check that users must change their password at the next logon and check that passwords never expires.

A confirmation window is shown and press finish.


Finally, all users are created and the Users section looks like this:


Installation of SQL Server 2012 

In this paragraph I'll descibe the installation process of SQL Server. The AD users are created and we ready for the installation. When you get your hands on SQL Server 2012 click on the install file to open the SQL Server Installation Center. I will not cover all the options, possibilities and stepts in the installation. I've done this before when I posted blogposts about the installation of SQL Server 2012 CTP0, CTP3 and the RC0. If you're impatient (and don't want to discover all the options), click on the Installation link on the left side of the menu. Since I'm installing everything on a single server, I click on the option to install a new stand-alone SQL Server version. AFter a couple of windows the following window shows up.



At this point the installation will check some Setup Support Rules. If you did not restart your computer after you ran some Windows Updates you may require a server restart. 


On the next screen I select all of the features that I would like to include on my SQL Server 2012 playground. Perhaps in a normal production environment the services like SSAS and SSRS is distributed among multiple servers but for now, it's enough to install all the features on one VM environment.


I run into in an error. I forgot to install .NET framework 3.5.1.


I have to start up the server manager and add the role .NET framework to the VM environment and start the installation process all over...


Now everything is fine. The installation process can proceed.


The following Server Configuration screen is very important. This is where we determine which accounts will be used in order to run each of the related SQL services. Fortunately we have created the users in a former substep in Sharepoint (see former paragraph) and therefore this configuration step is fairly simple. I've created a couple of AD users: SQL, SSAS and SSRS and I'll add them as follows. Click Next.



Now we need to configure the Database engine. I add the local administrator, DC administrator and myself as a SQL administrator.



Now, we need to configure Analysis Services. I already know that I am going to need three instances of SSAS on this server, I always choose to install the Multidimensional and Data Mining Mode. This is the standard version of Analysis Services.


In the next step I configure Reporting Services. We have two situations in the following window: native and sharepoint integrated. That's because we have said earlier in the installation process that we want both. Choose Next.


And after a couple of windows the following summary window is shown. Click on "Install" if you're satisfied with the selected options.


Conclusion

Well, The installation is done and it went smoothly. Well, I forgot the installation  of .NET framework 3.5.1 ;-) Next step is the installation of sharepoint 2010.

Greetz,
Hennie

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten